What to choose. A wine for under a tenner? A crisp white or a sumptuous red? Should I push the boat out and if so, what should I buy? Read on and let Wine Therapy give you the answers – for Easter dinking and beyond…
Fab Reds for under £10:
1. Le Campuget Syrah/Viognier – £8.99/bottle 13% ABV, Vegan, 95% Syrah 5% Viognier
A fragrant nose of violets and soft black fruits, followed by a smooth palate. This is a refreshing and easy to drink wine, perfect slightly chilled as a summer red. Ideal on its own or to accompany light food.
2. Coreto Tinto – £8.99/bottle 13% ABV, Vegan, 20% Caladoc, 20% Castelao, 20% Tinta Roriz, 20% Touriga Nacional, 15% Alicante Bouschet, 5% Pinot Noir
This wine from the Lisbon region of Portugal displays smooth, full-bodied ripe fruits with a youthful freshness. It is an excellent wine to drink on its own and will stand up to almost any fuller-flavoured dishes like roasted and barbequed meats, cheeses, as well as most vegetarian dishes.
3. Ocho Y Medio Malbec – £9.99/bottle 13% ABV, 100% Malbec
From high altitude vineyards – 850m above sea level, where the earth meets the clouds, comes this this lovely single vineyard Malbec. With its bright nose of red fruits and smooth palate of finely integrated tannins, this is a seriously well-made wine.
Fab Whites for under £10:
1. Tikves ‘Belo’ Smederevka – £8.50/bottle 11.5% ABV, Vegan, 85% Smederevka, 15% Riesling
A pale lemon-coloured wine delivering tropical and stone fruit aromas underpinned by a streak of zesty citrus. Beautifully balanced on the palate with crisp and refreshing fruit flavours through to a clean, vibrant finish. Delicious on its own or pair with green salads, crab or chicken dishes in a light sauce.
2. Cintila Vinho Espumante Extra Dry NV – £9.99/bottle 12% ABV, Vegan, Castelão 70%, Fernão Pires 30%
From deep within Portugal, this extra dry sparkling wine has been made using Portuguese grape varieties grown in Pegoes. The wine has lovely intense aromas of citrus fruits and hints of honey which develop into a rich and biscuity palate with soft balanced acidity. An excellent all-rounder!
3. Azabache Barrel Fermented Rioja Blanco – £9.99/bottle 12% ABV, 90% Viura, 10% Verdejo
This white Rioja is well balanced, fresh and lively with aromas of citrus fruits and vanilla. The palate is soft with flavours of lemon, green apple, peach and vanilla. The oak ageing gives the wine a full body and a buttery, creamy texture which is balanced perfectly by its crisp acidity.
Superior Reds for under £15:
1. Prados Fusion – £12.99/bottle 14.5% ABV, Vegan, 65% Garnacha, 35% Syrah
Hand harvested from vines in excess of 80 years old, the grapes were crushed under foot; the artisanal method developed to extract the desired levels of colour, flavour and fine tannins. The wine is dark ruby in colour, offering a rich, fruity nose with Mediterranean red fruits enhanced by hints of sweet spice. The palate seduces with layers of juicy red fruits, smooth and silky tannins and a long finish. A versatile wine, this accompanies red meat stews; grilled meat with red fruit sauces; or pasta dishes.
2. Casa Vinironia Appassimento – £11.99/bottle 14.5% ABV, Vegan, 60% Merlot, 30% Primitivo, 10% Negroamaro
Late harvested, super-ripe grapes are selected for this Appassimento produced in the Veneto region of Northern Italy. A rich and raisiny dry red, not unlike a Ripasso Valpolicella in style. Intense purple in colour, it is full and persistent on the nose giving notes of spice, chocolate and vanilla. The full-bodied palate has heady notes of black fruits, spice and chocolate with a perfect balance between soft tannins and acidity leading to a long and fruit-forward finish.
Serve with salamis, roast meats and game and full flavoured mature cheeses.
3. Saurus Pinot Noir – £14.99/bottle 14% ABV, 100% Pinot Noir
The Saurus wines take their name form the discovery of the fossilised bones of one of the largest dinosaurs to roam the earth, uncovered during the construction of the Family Schroeder winery in the wild plains of Patagonia, Argentina. This medium-bodied wine has plenty of floral aromas, roses and violets combined with red fruit scents – raspberries and strawberries. It presents ultra-fine tannins and fruity nuances which wave through to a finish of superior depth and dimension.
Superior Whites for under £15:
1. Yerevan Winemaker’s Blend – £11.99/bottle 12% ABV, 80% Kangun, 20% Rkatsiteli
Named in homage to one of the world’s most ancient cities, founded in 782 BC by King Argishti 1, this delicious white is harvested in high altitude vineyards 1000mts above sea level. Elegant and refreshing with fine aromas of white flowers, quince, pear and peaches, the wine has a lovely crisp minerality. It would be an ideal companion to fish, soft cheeses, light meat dishes or simply as an aperitif.
2. Lunate Fiano – £10.99/bottle 13.5% ABV, Vegan, 100% Fiano
This Sicilian white is grown in volcanic soils. Fiano is a fairly strong flavoured white wine grape, native to the south of Italy, and has been in cultivation for more than two thousand years. The grape is relatively low in yield and produces wines that are light straw yellow in colour with an aromatic bouquet. On the palate, it is crisp and fresh with stone fruit flavours and is complimented by a refreshing acidity making this wine beautifully balanced.
Ideal as an apéritif, this wine pairs well with white meats, fish dishes, summer salads and pan-fried pork with apple.
3. Domaine De Chevilly Quincy – £14.99/bottle 13.5% ABV, 100% Sauvignon Blanc
This is a simply delightful Sauvignon, delicate and fragrant – produced with great finesse and a fine example of wines from this region of Loire. It is fresh and well-balanced, with lively acidity and a smooth, long finish. A perfect partner for shellfish, goat’s cheese and charcuterie.
1. Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet Vosne Romanee 2014 – £45.99/bottle 13% ABV, 100% Pinot Noir. Dense, rich and complex, this wine reflects the characteristics of the superb Vosne Romanee terroir. Harvested late, the Pinot Noir grapes are hand-picked from a tiny 1-hectare plot where the vines are in excess of 50 years old, ensuring low yield and high concentration of flavours. Forest fruits, undergrowth and black cherry combined with toasty notes from its time in barrel. This is a real keeper – if you can restrain yourself!
2. Vina Del Oja Rioja Gran Reserva 2010 – £20.99/bottle 14% ABV, 90% Tempranillo, 5% Mazuelo, 5% Graciano. 2010 was a stunning vintage, and this Gran Reserva displays a multi-layered amount of interest; enticing aromas of herbs, dried fruits and hints of vanilla. Having spent 30 months in barrel, it is a deep and smoky, dark wine; smooth and full-bodied, yet elegantly made.
1. Jean Fery & Fils Givry Premier Cru ‘Pied De Chaume’ 2016 – £29.99/bottle, 13% ABV, 100% Chardonnay
Domaine Jean Fery & Fils is a family-run winery located in the beautiful village of Echevronne, situated between Beaune and Nuit-Saint-Georges. The vineyards are nurtured according to the principles of organic farming which requires a great deal of dedication and physical labour but the results speak for themselves. The Givry is a fresh and lively wine with an abundance of citrus fruits, honey, butter and nutty notes; its complex nose leads to a well-balanced, fresh mineral palate with a lingering, elegant finish.
2. Champagne Paul Dethune Cuve Prestige ‘Princesse des Thunes’ Brut Grand Cru NV £49.99/bottle 12.5% ABV, 50%, Pinot Noir 50% Chardonnay
This cuvee is the ultimate treasure in Paul Dethune’s range – an exceptional Champagne whose character is the result of masterful blending of old wines (partly matured in oak casks) and long years of cellar ageing. Soft and alluring, with complex aromas of vanilla, spices and candied fruit – only 2500 bottles are produced each year so this is a real treat!
Wines from Wine Therapy are available online with free UK delivery for orders over £100 (or £50 if Isle of Wight based) or from the shop in person: WINE THERAPY
E mail: email@example.com