Denim Jackets seem to be having a resurgence in popularity currently. But, why would you want to wear a plain boring jacket that looks the same as everyone else’s, when you could embellish and make something truly original? I have been collecting vintage pieces of tapestry and embroidery for applique and upholstery and I had a few that looked as though they would be perfect for this project.
You will need:
Pieces of tapestry embroidery or decorative fabric for applique
Sewing machine or needle and thread
1. Collect pieces of embroidery and tapestry together. Choose the pieces you feel will go together and put the other aside for the next project you do.
2. Cut a piece of fusible webbing the size of the tapestry or embroidery you are working on. Iron the webbing on the paper side onto the back of the tapestry.
3. Peel off the backing paper and cut out the tapestry shape with a small border.
4. Iron the shape onto the jeans jacket. Once it has stuck down, either hand sew the shape onto the jacket or machine into place.
5. Using embroidery thread, sew three lines of stitching round the shape.
6. Repeat steps 2-5 and arrange and pin the other pieces on the jacket. Sew all the pieces into place.
Juliet Bawden – www.creativecolour.com